Monday, February 21, 2011

a Senior's funny story

Well, where to begin. I believe the beginning should be"Where were you Lynn,when I needed you ?" you will understand after you read.
OK, I consider myself officially a Senior Citizen and loving it, as I dress as a Pirate in the Summers during Privateer Days, only to get laughed at by the cute young Dudes when I "Grrrrrr" at them, to be told to behave myself by Local Mounties I grew up with. No one really takes grey haired Ladies with any kind of fear or seriousness ,or I pray they don't :-)
My story begins actually a very long time ago when I became older and a bit of a loner, always working and marching to the beat of my own Drum literally for sure, for I always have been one who can entertain myself with no problem and when you mix in Chuck and his drum, well we make enough noise for 20 people,thing is as we have become longer in the tooth ,we start earlier and are finished by the time most people are leaving or headed to their evenings dinner table. To bed early we always are and I am really hoping this Summer to make it till dark Sleep I say..other's might not agree..., for there have been times Chuck and I after rising very early mornings, we being " early birds" would have to wear sleep masks to block out the sun coming in our bedroom window when we would go to bed before dark. So, here we go to the present past few days . About a Month ago I ordered a special book about Gnomes and a stain Glass ceiling lamp for our newly painted living room, thinking these two things would be a great 58th birthday gift for my upcoming birthday this past Friday Feb 18th. All the week before I was checking for my orders to arrive, just like a kid with excitement and sure enough ,everyday I was sadly disappointed to receive nothing in the mail. Thursday came and I headed to the post and there was a card from my,I always refer to her as my "older Little Sister "Linda, because I have always been bigger then her from a very early age and in that card was something she does every year for me ,she gives me something I never buy for myself, I am not a gambler and because of not being one when I open her card ,my day is full, scratching lotto tickets, it is so funny for every year I read the directions and talk to myself while playing these bingo and word scratch games, one year when still living in Charleston and I was home alone scratching these cards , I thought I won the World, who knew some of these words weren't indeed words after all. That was the year Clay told me there was a bar code you could scratch and find out if you won without playing, well now ,I believe that would ruin the fun, don't you ? OK, so I was itching to get these cards scratched and pickup my money but Thursday became a busy day for me with company and work and most of my game playing was done Thursday evening before bed, and we were like always in bed by 7 after the news, now pay attention to the bed times, at least by 7 PM most evenings if not every evening. I woke the day of my birthday the 18th,hit the gym, a great day indeed, starting my day with exercise which oh so works for me ,the gym kids ,I call them that,most of them Seniors in the AM when I go ,they gave me the sweetest appropriate birthday card .I had a great sweaty workout, feeling very "chipper". After the gym, I came home and went directly out to the Grocery store with Chuck to get Birthday dinner fixings for Clays Birthday celebrations on Sunday, his Birthday being on the 19th,mine the 18th . So off we went to the grocery store and me with all my scratched tickets in hand, Chuck went in to shop I went to get my winnings, I won nine dollars:-( next time OK? so rather then take my Nine $ I chose to keep on trying for the big win, not thinking and I promise next time I will get some more of the word scratch tickets because they are fun for me, exciting and all, don't get me wrong I will and would never make a habit of gambling in any way for I would never be so lucky but I will win someday something large enough to make my Sister's kind efforts pay off....I will ,oh yes, See, I am positive:-) could only wish. So, me being an apple on the tree but not the brightest so they say, asked for nine dollars of those pull tickets , not realizing they are like 2/$1.00 and I ended up with a hand full of these things, so I went into the grocery store with Chuck trying to shop with one hand and open these tickets with the other. Looking for my winning ticket.Finally I gave up and went to the car where I proceeded to pull and pull and pull,I won only a couple dollars and went into the shop again to the amazement of the person behind the counter as to how fast I checked these tickets. Well no wins but a lot of these dead tickets on the floor of the car. So the story in a nut shell right now is no wins and no parcels on my birthday. Boo Hoo...All I can do now is find a laugh somewhere and that brings me to Frenchy's before we hit home with our groceries . I walk in and what do I see but Becky the Manager coming from out back with the prettiest Burgundy ,state of the art, has a carry bag ,a fold up seat, hand breaks , it had it all.... this walker, one that would cost well over $200. new. I laughed and said to Becky ,now that is a great Birthday gift for myself ,watch this. She gave it to me to try out and I started to have some fun with it ,going up the isle to meet Chuck who was just coming in the door, I said and to be honest it was a great deal and you never know it just might have come in handy sometime in the future,if we live long enough. Well we all started laughing when Chuck said to Becky "if this crazy ole lady ever comes in here and tries to buy something like this again,you call me and lock her up" so we all had a big chuckle over this pretty state of the art walker I was playing with.
Now remember I am still in my gym cloths and smell like ****. Getting home we ended up with company again ,got the groceries away ,making plans to get clean and drum early and to bed again early Friday evening like always and maybe even get to the social walk which happens every Sat. AM here in Liverpool. I got the drums out ,was ready to bang on my drum for the rest of the afternoon when a dear friend dropped by with some "Vino" she had one , I had the rest, OK you now can see where this may be going. A roast went into the oven a bit later then we had planned .I got cleaned up ,Chucks back has been out and he hasn't been feeling all that great. We drummed for a short while after our friend left and the phone rang again ,it was our Clay wishing me birthday greetings,while I was on the phone with Clay, Chuck decided he was going to go to bed early because his back was not feeling great . Not wanting to eat the roast and trimmings by myself and go to bed so early on my birthday Clay suggested I take a walk to "Joeys A-one Pizza" for my favorite mug up a Bubba Donair, So after saying good buy to Clay I told Chuck where I was going and he sleepily said OK. Here we go, I am on the roller coaster ride now, picture the old birthday girl walking down Main Street with my two walking sticks which I can't walk without. Drooling for a "Big Bubba Donair" now remember this was all my son's suggestion:-) his fault...I thought I would pop into Ally 9 after I get my Donair for just one beer, I use to work with one of the bar tenders years ago. As I was walking along Main Street I heard a voice say" what are you up to tonight?" To my surprise it was the Father of one of my favorite little people I have face painted in the past. A lovely early 40's Gentleman,lovely wife and son. When I told him what I was up to and that I was going in for a beer and that is was my birthday ,he said he would go with me for a beer so I wouldn't be by myself.... how nice of him. So into the bar we go before I get my Donair ,I parked myself beside my Dear old friend who I worked with she and her sister many years ago in the late 60's early 70's. She lives with the flute playing Karaoke guy who Chuck and I met back in the 80's when we were doing a lot of flea markets. We reminisced and talked the rest of the night, and a few beers were bought. The whole time my younger friend checking in on me ,he kindly said he would walk the old birthday girl home when I was ready, well like I said a few beers flowed and I kept talking ,then my friend pulled out her camera and there will be( maybe) photos to follow up this story if I dare show them:-O well I said take my picture so I can prove I was here on my 58th Birthday. Then she suggested I go up on stage and she would take it then, so off I went up with another friend of hers, yes I was to shy to go alone, can you believe that??...HA well I believe I was dancing, a lot, me who am crippled up, who says a couple of drinks can't take pain away, I believe it worked for me that night. So I was there to close the place at two AM, the lights came up, it was full of young people ,maybe I saw a few faces my age but there was a lot of young energy, who are these so called young people full of life, yes, that would be me back ...hummmmmm lets see do the math...a long time ago now. Remember,I still have not had my Donair let alone anything at all since breakfast in my belly but beer. oops!!!!! So my young date and I left to try and get me a Donair to take home. Forget friend Joey from A-1 Pizza was a very busy boy, he and Deb his right hand worker, the place was packed outside and inside, So I bit the hunger bullet, made my way through the crowd to say hello to Deb and Joey, for they have never seen me out that late before. We headed for home my young date and I , funny saying young date, makes a 58 yr old early to bed Momma feel all young and spry, I said my goodnight and thanked him for looking after me:-) at the corner of Union and Main and sent him home to his family while I walked by myself the rest of the way in the beginning rain showers. After getting home, I swear, my belly button was somewhere back by my back bone by now so I got into the delicious cold roast to then hit my pillow for four hours sleep. I woke early as always and got to work cooking for Clays birthday dinner and make a cake for him for his Sunday visit. My voice was very raspy all day Saturday and again Sunday, as well today maybe I sang more then I thought I did, I wish I would have had a drum with me Friday night, but I bet folk's would have been just as happy if I didn't . They do have a jam session there every 2nd Thursday night but I am afraid I would always be in bed, wish it were afternoons...maybe in two years time on my 60th...I just might ,God willing ,pull this little stunt again. Don't tell me I'm old ...hahaha...and that takes me back to my Dear Lynn, and she knows who she is ,check out Lynn's blog from this site...she is a third cousin /friend of mine..and Lynn knows how to live... I thought I would never be able to keep up with you and Lou ,Lynn..well I gave it a good kick at the can Friday...wish you were there:-) So back to painting today, I am vegging again and healing, takes longer and longer everytime I do such things as party hardy. Chuck picked up an interesting book which has given me a lot of ideas for maybe very interesting paintings in the somewhat near future. More on that as it comes along. Right now I am working on a bit of a portrait of an Old Egyptian Lady. Will share that as soon as it comes together more. Check back in a few days for pictures of my adventure..once my friend sends them to me....and if you never see these pictures ,you can guess ,as to why not...but I did not get arrested.. maybe thanks to my young date :-)I hope you enjoyed my Seniors story, it's not like it happens every day:-)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I just knew you had it in you. Sounds like my kind of night ... spontaneous and fun ... didn't kill ya did it? LOL Happy B'day from me and Lu too.